One of the most important decisions a woman will make before she gets married is to select her perfect wedding dress. This is something that every little girl dreams of during her childhood. But don’t let the hype and the pressure of years and years of anticipation cloud your judgement. After all, the dress is just a dress, and should never be bigger than the occasion.
One of the things brides-to-be have to consider when buying a dress is the comfort level of the wedding dress. Sure it’s nice to look like a princess on your wedding day, but if the dress causes you extreme discomfort; or cuts off your circulation, then it’s not really worth it. The dress might even cause you to faint. Imagine what a nightmare that would be!
The wedding dress selection process usually starts months before the wedding. It’s advisable for brides-to-be to look through the pages of wedding magazines, or to visit wedding shops. Just to give them an idea of the different types of styles of wedding dresses that are available.
Brides-to-be also have to consider their body types. It’s important to get a wedding dress that looks good on you! You might have to try plenty of wedding dresses before you find that one dress that is perfect for you.
If you have set aside an extensive budget for your wedding dress. Then you can always go for a designer dress. The most famous name nowadays when it comes to bridal fashion is Vera Wang. She is known for her luxurious detailing, craftsmanship, and hand beading. Her clients for her wedding line include: Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson, Uma Thurman and Mariah Carey, just to name a few.
But if you don’t have that much money to spare then you can always choose other options. There are a number of places where you can get your wedding dress that won’t cost you a fortune. In addition to the more traditional bridal shops, wedding dresses are also available in: thrift shops, discount stores, online, and even eBay.
If you are buying on eBay, make sure the measurements of the wedding dress is included in the description. Also, the condition of the dress must be looked into. Check for feedback regarding that person’s account, just to make sure that you are dealing with a credible dealer.
But if a traditional wedding is the theme you have in mind, then you might want to go for a vintage dress, in keeping with this theme. When buying a vintage dress, beware of discoloration, or stains on the dress. These might not come off so easily. Investigate the fabric of the dress, stretch it out to check for weakening, or tearing of the cloth.
Try to buy a vintage dress that is made before the 1900’s. Fabrics have a tendency to deteriorate, and weaken over time. Extraordinarily old vintage dresses might look romantic, but they might not be ideal for use.
If you really have your heart set on a specific design, but you find that that dress is too old to use, or too expensive, then you can always go for a reproduction wedding dress.
Many stores specialize on reproduction dresses. They design wedding dresses based on specific themes, or eras. Some specialty wedding shops also focus on designing knock-off wedding dresses, inspired by designer wedding gowns. The huge difference being, that these wedding gowns are retailed for the fraction of the amount.
There are so many ways a future bride can go about in search for her dream wedding dress. Searching for a wedding dress should be exciting and fun. So make sure you have plenty of time in your hands before the big day, so this process doesn’t become stressful, and wearisome. Instead a prelude to the happiness of the special occasion which is to become your wedding.
Wedding Planning – Choosing the Gown
The dress is always the highlight of all wedding fantasies and make-believes. Ever since their youth, people will most often dream of a beautiful princess-bride in a snowy white, ethereal wedding dress of stunning beauty. It comes as no surprise that choosing the perfect wedding dress for your wedding will prove to be one of the most challenging and exciting part of planning your wedding.
Marriage is “ideally” an once-in-a-lifetime event. There isn’t much leeway to practice or make mistakes. So to make the bride’s entrance down the carpet perfect and memorable, one must take great pains to ensure that everything is done correctly down to every little detail on the wedding dress.
From watching fantasy-like weddings on TV, or reading about them in books and magazines, or hearing about them from other people, many brides-to-be form an image in their minds of the kind of wedding dress they would like to wear on their wedding. Many people take a watch and learn stance as they formulate, plan and dream up their ideal wedding dress.
If your time has come, and you are shopping for the perfect dress to make your wedding dreams come true, then you have come to the right place. Here are a few tips to help you get over the wedding dress hump will less sweat.
1. The Dress Comes First
Although it may go both ways, the theme of your dress should follow your desired theme or vice versa. Some couples choose a theme before choosing a gown, and in effect, they make the gown fit the theme they have chosen. But for some people, the choice of gown comes first, and the theme of the wedding follows the gown’s theme. So if the gown that catches the bride’s fancy is ultra beaded and formal, then the wedding may tend to be more formal. If the bride chooses a less formal dress, then the wedding may follow a less formal route.
2. Don’t Overwhelm Yourself with Choices
Yes, it may be tempting to try every gown that comes your way. But what if you find yourself buried under a pile of 20 or so gowns you think you really like and can’t make a decision? That sort of scenario will prove to be a terrible headache not to mention a great source of stress.
To avoid this, try making decisions in stages. You could try an “American Idol” style way of choosing a gown. You could vote off the least liked one and then reevaluate the remaining gowns.
Another method is trying 5 gowns and then choosing two of the best. These “champions” will be pit against 5 more new gowns. Continue the tournament until you get to the perfect gown.
It may become tempting to say, “Aw, but that other gown might have been better.” Try to make sure you make your final decision among 5 gowns. If you end up with too many to choose from you may get overwhelmed and end up choosing an inferior gown, or choosing the perfect gown but forever asking yourself whether you made the right decision or not.
And choose a wise companion; take along one or two of your closest friends or confidants who know a thing or two about wedding dresses and style. Their advice will come in handy when choosing a gown. Also, make sure you check the durability and quality of the gown, the material and the accessories. You don’t want your gown falling apart on you during the ceremonies.
Dont Go Wrong On Your Wedding Gown
Guidelines on how to buy your wedding gown:
1. Set up a budget. Today, buying a wedding gown offers you a great deal of choices. Know your budget, and don’t try out such wedding gowns that are out of your budget as you will only let yourself down as well as adding a lot of pressure to your decision.
2. Decide on what style you want. The internet offers a lot of ideas as to the type of gown that you are envisioning. Take into account the location and the time of the ceremony. Make certain your gown correspond well with your other plans.
3. Start as early as possible. Once the wedding date is set, start on the search for your wedding gown.
4. Find and compare bridal salons.
5. Make appointments. Be sure to set up a meeting with the establishment that you are interested with and discuss with their designer your ideal wedding dress so she too, could have an idea what you are looking for. Listen too, to her suggestions.
6. Have your measurements taken. Don’t do the measurements yourself. Go to your bridal salon and let them take it for you. This will ensure precise measurements that will lead to a perfect fit.
7. Look at swatches. It is important that you know and feel the texture and the actual color of the fabric that will become your wedding gown. Swatches will be helpful in making your decision for a gown much easier.
8. Consider the rear view design of the gown. Your guests will be spending a lot of time looking at your back as the ceremony goes on. When looking through designs, take into account the gown design at the back that it should be as flattering as the front.
9. Bring a friend along. She can give you her honest opinion as to whether the style and design of your choice is perfect or alterations needs to be done; also how the dress looks like at different angles.
10. Consider comfort. You will be wearing the gown for at least eight hours, so it is important that the gown should feel comfortable. When trying it on, bend over, sit down, stand up, walk and dance to make sure that you can move with ease in your wedding gown.
11. Down payment. Usually, a fifty percent down payment is required as soon as you order your gown.
12. Ask for a receipt. Once you have decided on a gown and placed your down payment, then ask for a receipt indicating the amount of your down payment, the full description of the gown, delivery and due date.
13. Relax and enjoy. Allow the people at the bridal salon to pamper you in every way. Enjoy the thrill and the excitement of shopping for your wedding gown and of the thought that you will soon be marrying the person that you love.
Be cautious of:
1. Anybody who would insist on shipping your wedding gown to you. You have very little remedy or none at all, should anything go wrong. The price that you will be paying for alterations may be more than the discount that was given to you when they sent you the gown.
2. Anybody that is suggesting that you should “do the footwork”. It is best that you shop somewhere else.
3. Anybody who would require a full payment for your gown before it’s done.
It is always safe that you buy or order your wedding gown at the same shop that you selected it. There are many full service bridal stores that will cater to all your needs and your satisfaction is guaranteed. Your wedding gown is very important. Don’t take chances.
How to Choose the Best Wedding Gown
In order to have a perfect wedding, it is important to have that perfect wedding gown, too. This is because the wedding gown is the showpiece of any wedding event.
The wedding gown is not just a mere dress that is worn by the bride. It is the substantial emblem of purity, love, and happiness that awaits the bride in her future with her groom. That is why finding the right wedding gown is as important as preparing the wedding celebration itself.
Therefore, for people who do not know how to choose the perfect wedding gown, here are some pointers that could help you out.
1. Use all the resources available in choosing ideas and design on your wedding gown.
Before, wedding magazines are the only resources where the bride-to-be can get some useful ideas on her wedding gown. However, with the advent of the Internet, she can now browse for more ideas and concepts of wedding gowns online.
There are web sites that will provide you with full details regarding a particular wedding gown, complete with prices, different styles, and fashion sense.
2. Make a budget and strictly conform to it.
Budget will never be absent in any wedding plans. However, the most common problem that arises concerning budgeting is the fact that people do not stick to it.
Hence, if you have a budget for your wedding gown, it would be better to stick to it and not be enticed with all the promotions of whoever will make your wedding gown. Otherwise, you will fall short on the other aspects of your wedding plans.
3. Be sure to have your wedding gown looking good in all angles.
Usually, the most neglected part of the wedding gown is the back. So, when ordering a wedding gown, be sure that you will also look good from behind. Most of the time, the guests will have a look at your back so you definitely have to look good from behind.
4. Be practical with the designs that you want to use.
Like any traditional wedding gowns, large skirts and long gowns are the typical styles of yesteryears. But in today’s modern world, there are cases wherein wedding gowns like these are not at all practical especially if the venue is just small.
Moreover, it can be burdensome for the bride to carry such a heavy dress throughout the wedding celebration. What matters most is to make the bride comfortable to what she is wearing.
5. Take into account the environmental condition of the venue of the wedding.
When choosing a wedding gown, it is best to consider the weather and the venue. This will have a great effect on the kind of material that should be worn by the bride.
For example, if the wedding will take place during summer, then, it is best to choose the materials for the wedding gown that will not make the bride sweat and perspire throughout the celebration.
Indeed, deliberating on the details of the wedding gown can be a daunting task. That is why it is important to provide a hefty amount of time in preparing, designing, and ordering the wedding gown. In this manner, there will be plenty of time for any changes and modifications without the tendency to come up with a rushed work.
More importantly, the bride should always consider her comfort when choosing a wedding gown. Looks and designs will only be put to waste if the bride is not comfortable wearing it.
As the old cliche goes, you are what you wear. Therefore, it would be better to wear a wedding gown that would reflect the happiness and love that is within the bride. In turn, the wedding gown will appear before the audience as the most beautiful centerpiece of the ceremony.